How to allow the Camera app to use the built in webcam and microphone of the computer with Windows 8 or 8.1 operating system.
- The Camera app is a preinstalled application that was designed for use in the new Windows User Interface (UI) of the Windows® 8 or 8.1 operating system and is unique to those operating systems.
- Any application designed for use in the new Windows User Interface (UI) of the Windows® 8 or 8.1 operating system will only work with and will only be available for computers with the those operating systems installed.
The first time you access the Camera app, you will see a Can Camera use your webcam and microphone? prompt, and be asked to Allow or Block.
If you selected Block, the Camera app will not be able to use the built-in camera and microphone.
Follow these steps if you wish to change the setting and allow the Camera app to use the built-in camera and microphone.
- Point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and then click to select the Search charm.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + Q key combination will also take you to the Search screen.
- In the Search screen, click the Apps category, and then click the Camera tile.
- In the Camera screen, point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and then click to select the Settings charm.
- In the Settings screen, click Permissions.
- In the Permissions screen, click the Webcam and microphone button to set it to On.
The built-in camera and microphone will now be enabled in the Camera app.