How to log in to the computer using a Microsoft account.
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
A local user account provides all the traditional benefits of local authentication on a Windows® computer. In contrast, a Microsoft® user account is an online account that will allow you to download apps from the Windows® Store and automatically sync settings between different computers to obtain the same look and feel, including settings like browser favorites and history. A Microsoft account also allows you to use features like PC Syncing, which makes it easy to save your personal files and settings to the OneDrive® online storage service.
From a Local user account, follow these steps to log in to the computer using a Microsoft user account:
- Click the Start button, and in the Start menu, click Settings.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + I key combination will also take you to the Settings screen.
- In the SETTINGS window, click Accounts.
- In the ACCOUNTS windows, under Your account, click Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
- In the Make it yours window, enter the email address and password for your Microsoft account, and then click the Sign in button.
NOTE: If you do not have a Microsoft account, click Create one and then follow the onscreen instructions to complete the account creation process.
- At the Passwords are so yesterday screen, click to select either the PIN me! or Skip this step option.
NOTE: If you select the PIN me! option, follow the onscreen instructions to set up a PIN and then click the OK button.
- In the ACCOUNTS windows, under You need to verify your identity on this PC, click Verify.
NOTE: The need to verify the account is a security measure to ensure that the person connecting to the account is actually the person who created the account. There are a number of options you can use to verify your identity, which may include an alternate email address or a phone number. These options are dependent on the information that you provided when the Microsoft user account was set up.
- Click to select the verification option you wish to use, provide the needed information, and then click the Next button.
- Once you have received it, enter the code provided, and then click the Next button.
You are now connected using a Microsoft user account.