IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
There are no system Recovery Discs included with the computer. The recovery data required to return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition is included on a special partition of the hard drive. The following procedure can be used to create a set of Recovery Discs from that data, which can be used to restore the recovery partition and return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition in case this is ever necessary.
- If the computer does not have an internal CD/DVD optical drive, the VAIO Care™ software will not display the Create Recovery Disc option. Connect a supported external drive before opening the VAIO Care software .
- The number of discs needed to create the set varies by model.
- The Recovery Discs are not a backup utility. To back up personal data, use the Rescue Data feature which is available after booting the computer via either of these methods:
- If you already have the Recovery & Restore window open, skip to step 7.
- Sony provides a way to create Recovery Media on most computers. Instructions can be found in your product manual. Manuals, Specifications and Warranty information for your Sony product is available online. Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If your computer shipped with any operating system released prior to the Windows 7 operating system, send your Sony computer into a Sony facility so that they can provide repair and recovery options.
- Close all open programs.
- Connect the AC adapter and do not interrupt the power during the process.
- Click the Start button and then click All Programs.
- In the All Programs menu, click the VAIO Care folder and then click VAIO Care.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes.
- In the VAIO Care window, in the left pane, click Recovery & Restore.
- In Recovery & Restore window, in the Create Recovery Disc section, click Start Disk Creation.
- Insert a DVD or DVD-DL disc into the optical drive.
NOTE: Once the disc is recognized, the window will display the number of discs required depending on the type of disc you are using.
- In the Recovery & Restore window, click the Next button.
NOTE: It is recommended to verify the recovery discs were created properly by checking the box next to Verify my disc was created correctly. Although. this process takes longer.
- Click the Start button.
- Once the first disc has been created, remove it and label it properly.
NOTE: If only one disc is required, skip to step 13.
- Insert another disc and then click the Start button.
- Once the second disc has been created, remove it and label it properly.
- Click the Done button.
- Close the Recovery & Restore window.