Error: Operating System not Found or Missing Operating System
- Operating system not found
- Missing operating system
- Each of these steps represent a possible solution to the error messages. Check the operating system status after completing each step by restarting the computer. If you are unable to complete a step for any reason, just proceed to the next step.
- This solution has been written to work with all VAIO® computers that use the Windows® 7 or Windows Vista® operating systems. Because of this, some steps are only spelled out in general terms. The reason for this is that the process to perform that particular step is different depending on the model computer you have.
- For information specific to any particular model on how to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to your computer's manual, or specify your particular model, and search the Knowledgebase again for the specific operation you want to perform. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Remove any added hardware, and all removable media.
- Reset the computer BIOS to the default values.
- After resetting the BIOS, make sure that the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) is detected in the BIOS.
- If the HDD isn't detected in the BIOS, then a hardware failure has occurred, and the HDD may need to be replaced.
- If the HDD is detected in the BIOS, but the operating system will not load, access the recovery tools using the Assist button or F10, and recommend to perform a Data Backup (if possible).
- After you have performed a Data Backup, perform a Full System Recovery by accessing the hidden partition.
- If the hidden partition can't be accessed, use the Recovery Media .
- If you were unable to access or successfully perform a Data Backup, the only option is to perform a Full System Recovery.
Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If you have not created a set of Recovery Media, or if the Recovery Media has been lost or misplaced, begin the procedure to send your Sony computer into a Sony facility so that they can provide repair and recovery options.
If the issue is still unresolved, service will be required.  Go to Product Repair.