What Is a Mastered in 4K Blu-ray Disc?
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
What Is Mastered in 4K?
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has released Blu-ray Disc™ movies Mastered in 4K and Optimized for 4K Ultra High Definition Televisions. These Blu-ray Disc movies include the following technologies to yield the greatest possible high definition picture quality, and will upscale to create a satisfying 4K experience:
- Utilization of 4K movie masters created either from a film source scanned digitally with more than 4K resolution, or shot with 4K digital cameras that provides a more precise and detailed picture.
- The utilization of x.v.YCC color gamut to the 4K movie master delivers an expanded range of rich color contained in the original source when viewed on a high definition television compatible with x.v.YCC specification.
- We worked together with Sony Pictures to optimize the algorithms of down-converting 4K movie masters to upscale it with the 4K-Reality Pro Engine, when viewed on a 4K LED TV.
View picture of sample packing of a Blu-ray Disc movie Mastered in 4K.
Steps to Activate Mastered in 4K Function
Activate this function to optimize and provide picture quality suitable for Blu-ray Discs Mastered in 4K. Steps to active this function may vary. Check your manual for model-specific information.
Activate Mastered in 4K on Your Blu-ray Disc Player
- Connect your Blu-ray Disc player to the HDMI® input of your TV.
- Set the HDMI signal output from your Blu-ray Disc player to 1080/24p.
- On the Blu-ray Disc player's remote control, press the HOME button.
- Select Setup.
- Select Screen Settings.
- Select Output Video Resolution.
- Select 1080/24p.
- Play any Blu-ray Discs with Mastered in 4K title.
Activate Mastered in 4K on Your TV
For TVs Connected to BRAVIA® Sync