This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and Improvements
- Fixes an issue where, on rare occasions, the camera will restart in Still Image mode
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
- Adds the USB Streaming function
- Connecting over a USB cable to a PC or Xperia smartphone allows you to conduct livestreaming and online communication with the high video and audio quality
- This applies to Xperia 1 II smartphones or Xperia 5 II smartphones that have been upgraded to Android 11. Update availability varies by region. (As of February 9, 2021)
- Use a commercially available USB cable or terminal conversion adaptor
- Improves the overall stability and performance of the camera
NOTE: Refer to the Help Guide for details on all updated functions.
- 319 MB (334 818 672 bytes)
Check the system software version
Follow the instructions below to check the system software version. If the system software version is Ver.2.00 or earlier, the update is required.
NOTE: If the Date/Time setting screen appears when you turn on your camera, make sure to set the date and time to the correct values.
- Select Menu → Setup5 → Version.
- The system software version is displayed as illustrated below.
The latest version of the system software update is compatible with the following versions of Microsoft Windows:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
This system software update requires the following hardware:
- Hard drive space: 600 MB or more
- RAM: 600MB or more
NOTE: Please close all other application software before updating the system software.
- Power source for the camera
- Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-BX1.
NOTE: The update can only be performed when the battery power level is (three bars) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery.
- Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-BX1.
- USB cable supplied with the camera.
NOTE: Update functionality is not guaranteed with any other USB cable.
Download & Install
- Please close all other application software before updating the system software
- Use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-BX1
- Do not remove the battery during the update as the sudden loss of power may render the camera inoperable
- Remove the memory card from the camera before starting the update process
- The system software update will take approximately 24 minutes. Please do not allow your computer to go into Sleep mode during this time.
NOTE: If the computer does go into Sleep mode and the update is interrupted, the entire update process will need to be restarted.
- Do not open About This System Software Updater in the System Software Updater menu as this may cause the software to crash
- Do not connect the camera to other devices except your computer
- Do not connect the camera and computer yet
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet
- Following the instructions in the System Software Updater window, on the camera, select Menu → Setup3 → USB Connection and check if Mass Storage has been selected. If a mode other than Mass Storage is selected, please select Mass Storage
How to download the Updater:
- Click the Download button above.
- After reading the disclaimer, click Download.
- The Update_DSCZV1V201.exe file will start downloading.
NOTE: File Size: 319 MB (334 818 672 bytes)
- Save the file to the desktop of your computer (recommended).
NOTE: With the standard settings of Microsoft Edge, the update file will be saved in your Downloads folder. Click the Desktop tile from the Start screen and find the downloaded file in the Downloads folder by using Explorer.
Step 1: Start the Updater
- Close all programs currently running on your computer.
- Double-click the Update_DSCZV1V201.exe file that you downloaded. Do not connect the camera to the computer yet.
- The System Software Updater starts.
- Turn on the camera and connect it to the computer with the supplied USB cable. When you do, USB Mode appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
- Click Next. The current version number and updated version number appear on the lower left side of the screen.
NOTE: If the computer cannot find the device, the message Could not find the camera for this update is displayed on the computer screen. Please try the following:
- Disconnect the USB cable and connect it again.
- If the computer has multiple USB terminals, try with the other terminals.
- After confirming that the current software version is Ver. 2.00 or earlier, click Next. If the current system software version is Ver. 2.01, the update is not required. In this case, disconnect the camera from the computer and click Finish, turn off the camera, remove the battery pack, reinsert the battery and turn the camera back on.
Update is required
Update is not required
- The camera will automatically be reset.
- Start the update. After automatically resetting, the update will begin and a progress bar will appear.
IMPORTANT: Never turn off the camera or disconnect the USB cable while updating.
NOTE: The update will take approximately 6 minutes to complete.
- When the update is completed, the camera will automatically restart. When the LCD screen appears again, click Finish and disconnect the USB cable.
NOTE: After restarting, a data recovery warning is sometimes displayed. This is normal. Please wait until this warning disappears.
Step 2: Confirm the system software version of your device
- On the camera, select Menu → Setup5 → Version.
- The system software version is displayed.
Questions & Answers
The update does not complete
If the monitor remains black for more than 6 minutes, follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
- Remove the battery and AC adapter from the camera, leave it for a few minutes, then insert the battery again or connect the AC adapter.
- Restart the computer.
- Turn on the camera and perform the installation process again.