The following audio and video codecs are supported on Blu-ray Disc® media.
IMPORTANT: While the audio and video codecs listed here are the playback codecs supported by Blu-ray Disc players and recorders, it is up to the individual movie studios, media content developers and manufacturers to decide which codec(s) they use for their products. Therefore, not all codecs supported by Blu-ray Disc players and recorders will necessarily be included on any one specific Blu-ray Disc media. To find out what audio or video codecs are included on a specific Blu-ray Disc media, contact the manufacturer of that media.
- MPEG-2: Enhanced for HD, also used for playback of DVDs and HDTV recordings.
- MPEG-4 AVC: Part of the MPEG-4 standard also known as H.264 (High Profile and Main Profile).
- SMPTE VC-1: A standard based on Microsoft® Windows Media® Video (WMV) technology.
- Linear PCM (LPCM): Offers up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio.
- Dolby Digital® (DD): Format used for DVDs also known as AC3, offers 5.1-channel surround sound.
- Dolby Digital® Plus (DD+): Extension of DD, offers increased bitrates and 7.1-channel surround sound.
- Dolby® TrueHD: Extension of MLP Lossless, offers lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio.
- DTS Digital Surround®: Format used for DVDs, offers 5.1-channel surround sound.
- DTS-HD®: Extension of DTS, offers increased bitrates and up to 8 channels of audio.