How to restart, power reset, or set the Android TV or Google TV back to original factory settings
Before you start
- IMPORTANT: This article is for Android TV™ or Google TV™ models only. You can check your TV type if you're unsure.
- If your TV isn't an Android TV or Google TV, refer to the perform a power reset article.
- Make sure the TV is on and you remove any external USB devices from the TV.
There are three different ways to reset your Android TV or Google TV depending on the issue you are experiencing:
- Step 1 (Restart/Power Reset) is always recommended first as it can resolve many issues and doesn't affect saved information.
- Step 2 (Factory Data Reset) is the next step and will erase all customer settings as it resets the TV to factory specifications.
- Step 3 (Forced Factory Reset) is the final option and will also erase all customer settings as it resets the TV to factory specifications. Use this option when you can't access the TV through the menu, don't have a remote, or as otherwise specified.
Watch this video or follow the steps below it to reset your TV. Note: Video playback may not work if trying to view it from the TV Help section.
Power Restart or Power reset
The menu items and steps may vary, so follow the steps that best match your TV menu:
- Restart the TV with the supplied remote control (easiest):
- Press and hold the POWER button until a menu appears → select Restart
- Press and hold the POWER button until Power off appears on the screen
- Restart using the menu. On the remote:
- Press (Quick Settings) → Settings → System → Restart → Restart
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → About → Restart → Restart
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → Device Preferences → About → Restart → Restart
- If the power cord is accessible:
- Unplug the TV power cord from the wall outlet, wait two minutes, then plug the power cord back in.
Factory Data Reset
WARNING! Performing a factory data reset will remove all customer settings in the TV including Google™ account, app, channel, camera device data, parental lock, and wireless network settings.
- You can sync your apps with your Google account to recover some of the application's data after you perform a factory reset. Follow the steps below depending on your TV menu.
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → Device Preferences or Accounts and Sign in → Google → Choose synced apps → select items to sync → Sync now
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → Google → Choose synced apps in Sync → select items to sync → Sync now
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → Personal → Google → Choose synced apps in Sync → select items to sync → Sync now
- If you have a KD 750H series TV and have updated the firmware to version 60104 or higher, use the Factory Data Reset location change after firmware update for 750H models article instead.
If the HOME screen displays on the TV screen
If the HOME screen doesn't display (the HOME button on the remote control doesn't work)
For other models (using the Help button)
- The factory reset may take a few moments. Wait until the process is completed.
- You may need to enter a PIN code (if one was set on your TV) when you select the Erase everything option.