Follow these general guidelines to troubleshoot this issue when the Blu-ray Disc™ player is connected to your TV with an HDMI® cable. Check the product manual if model-specific information is needed for any step. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Make sure the TV is on the correct HDMI input.
- Set the TV to the appropriate input .
- Set the speaker output to AV AMP if you have a BRAVIA™ TV.
- If you are using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter or cable, you will need to connect a digital (optical or coaxial), or red and white analog cable to your devices to receive an audio signal.
- DVI inputs only support video signals.
- The audio input available on the TV determines which cable you should use.
- If you are playing an MPEG2 Program Stream (PS) file, turn off your Blu-ray Disc player and then turn it on again.
- This normally resolves playback issues with MPEG2 PS files.
- The HDMI cable may be defective. Try a different one.
- Set the Audio (HDMI) or Digital Audio Output setting on the Blu-ray Disc player to PCM.
- This applies if you connected an amplifier to the Blu-ray Disc player and the TV with an HDMI cable.
- Change this setting to see if the amplifier produces any sound.
- If the surround sound of the Blu-ray home theater system doesn't work, verify if there's no audio from the rear speakers or if you can listen to the Dolby Digital® technology 5.1 surround sound through your TV .
- If the volume is very low, select the Audio DRC or BD Audio Mix on the Blu-ray Disc player to Off .
- Set the BD Audio Mix setting of the Blu-ray player to On if there's no sound once the movie started.
- If possible, connect the Blu-ray Disc player to a different TV to see if the issue still occurs.
- Make sure that the latest firmware version for your device is installed. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
If the issue still occurs, repair may be required.  Go to Product Repair.