You can use an external USB hard disk drive (HDD) for file playback or app storage if it meets the specifications for use on your BRAVIA™ television. Check your TV operation manual, as compatibility with all HDD devices is not guaranteed. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Before you start
- This feature is available for TVs with the Android™ 6.0 Marshmallow operating system (OS) and later. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- An HDD can be formatted to file systems that will allow use with both Microsoft® Windows® or Apple® Macintosh® computers. Be sure to check the operation manuals or documentation for details on the hard disk drive or OS compatibility.
- For the X74H_X75H series, refer to the What types of USB HDDs (hard disk drives) are compatible with Android TV (X74H_X75H series)? article.
Maximum HDD size for playback and App storage
Check the maximum HDD size and storage capacity for the supported file system.
|Maximum HDD size for playback (videos, photos, and music)
|Maximum HDD capacity for App storage
|exFAT and NTFS
- The FAT32 file system's file size for each saved app is limited to 4GB.
- To use an HDD for storage (apps only), it must be formatted on the TV before use. It will then work exclusively on the TV for app storage.
- It will not work with a computer, etc., after formatting on the TV.
- TVs with the Android 6.0 OS must use an HDD of 256GB or smaller.
- TVs with Android 7.0 OS or later can use an HDD that is 256 GB or larger, but the usable capacity is restricted to 256 GB.