IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
This article can be used to perform a forced Factory data reset in situations when you can't perform a normal factory data reset, such as:
- when the software crashed after a software update.
- when the screen of the normal factory data reset doesn't open for some reason.
Before you start
- If you can access the TV menu, perform a factory data reset instead.
- A forced factory data reset can only be done on TVs with Android™ 6.0 Marshmallow or higher operating system installed.
- This procedure may require two people.
- The location of the buttons will vary depending on the TV model.
- Some applications data might be recovered if Apps are synced with your Google™ account. The steps to sync apps vary depending on the operating system version installed on your TV.
- For Android 9 Pie:
- Select HOME → Settings → Device Preferences → Google → Choose synced apps → Select items you want to sync with the account → Sync now
- For Android 8.0 and 7.0:
- Select HOME → Settings → Google → Choose synced apps in Sync → select the items you want to sync with the account → Sync now
- For Android 6.0:
- Select HOME → Settings → Personal → Google → Choose synced apps in Sync → Select the items you want to sync with the account → Sync now
- For Android 9 Pie:
Perform a forced Factory data reset
WARNING! Performing a forced Factory data reset will remove all customized settings in the TV including apps, channels, and wireless network settings. For XBR X950G/X850G/A9F/Z9F/A9G/Z9G, this will also erase Demo data for retail from the internal storage and the Demo Mode settings will no longer be available.
Follow these steps to perform a forced Factory data reset if, when facing the back of your TV, there are 3 buttons at the lower right side of the TV.
- A: Power button
- B: volume down (-) button
- C: Back of TV
- Unplug the AC power cord.
- On the TV, press and hold down the Power and volume down buttons simultaneously, and then (while holding the buttons down) plug the AC power cord back in. Continue to hold the buttons down until the green LED light appears.
- It will take approximately 10 - 30 seconds for the LED light to turn green.
- Release the buttons after the green LED light appears.
- If the white LED light doesn't turn green within 30 seconds, start from Step 1 again.
- Wait a few minutes for the reset process to take place. The TV will reboot (turn on and off) two times.
- Two Welcome screens will appear on the TV screen.
Note: If the TV doesn't turn back ON automatically, press the Power button to turn it back ON.
- Do not set up the first Welcome screen. The TV will auto factory data reset within one minute of the first Welcome screen.
- When the second Welcome screen appears, perform the setup.
- If the Welcome setup screen doesn't appear, unplug the AC power cord and then plug it back in.
If the forced Factory data reset didn't resolve the issue, perform the reset again.