Cast the entire desktop, a browser tab, or media file to your TV from the computer
This article shows you how to cast the entire desktop, a browser tab, media folders, or individual files from your computer to a TV over a network using the Google Chrome™ or Microsoft® Edge™ browser. Unlike the screen mirroring feature, casting allows you to view your device screens on the TV using the Wi-Fi® network connection.
Before you start
To activate casting on your TV you'll need:
- A Sony Android TV™ or Google TV™
- A computer and network with the minimum system requirements
- Your TV and computer must be connected to the same network
- The latest version of the Chrome or Edge browser must be installed on the computer
Note: To check the version, refer to the following:
- For Chrome → click the More icon → Help → About Google Chrome.
- For Edge → click the Settings and More icon → Help and feedback → About Microsoft Edge.
Cast to the TV
- Launch the Chrome or Edge browser on your computer.
- Follow these steps depending on the browser:
- If using Chrome, click the More icon → Cast...
- If using Edge, click the Settings and More icon → More tools → Cast media to device.
- The cast icon appears to the right of the address bar and a Cast Tab window will appear.
- Select the Sources dropdown and then follow the steps below according the casting method you want to use:
- To cast the desktop, click Cast desktop → click on the desktop screen in the Share your entire screen window → click Share.
- To cast the browser window, click Cast tab.
- To cast an audio or video file, click Cast file → navigate to and select the file in the Open file window → click Open.
- Click to select the TV.
- To end casting, go to the right of the browser address bar, click the Cast icon, hover over the device that is casting, then select Stop casting.
- The Google Cast icon located on the top right corner of the browser appears blue when it's successfully connected to the TV.
- Netflix®, YouTube™, Pandora®, and other apps allow direct casting once you are using the service. Click the Cast icon on the app or the website.
Cast media files to the TV using the File Explorer
- Open the folder where the audio or video file is located.
- Follow these steps depending on the media you want to cast.
- For audio or video files: Right click on the file.
- For a folder of images: Right click on the folder.
- Navigate to Cast to Device and select the TV. The file will play or, if a folder is selected, a slideshow will start playing.
If your TV device doesn't appear in the Cast window, or if casting to your TV fails, refer to the Casting from mobile devices or computers to the TV fails article.