IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
IMPORTANT: The following procedure can be used to create a Recovery Media Kit using recordable CDs and the DVD/CDRW combo drive in the Digital Living System computer. To create a Recovery Media Kit using recordable DVDs and the Digital Living System Media Changer, an alternate procedure is required .
There are no System Recovery CDs (SRCDs) included with the computer. The recovery data required to return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition is included on a special partition of the hard drive. Follow this procedure to create the Recovery Media Kit (a set of Recovery Discs), which can be used to restore the recovery partition and return the computer to the original, factory-installed condition.
- Rewritable media can be used to create the Recovery Discs, but are not recommended.
- Not all computers have the capability to write to DVD media. Consult the specifications for the computer for additional information.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process.
Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If you have not created a set of Recovery Media, or if the Recovery Media has been lost or misplaced, begin the procedure to send your Sony computer into a Sony facility so that they can provide repair and recovery options.
NOTE: The Recovery Media Kit is not a backup utility. Personal data and software installed after purchase, or since the last system recovery, is not saved by the Recovery Media Kit.
- Ensure all open programs are closed.
- Ensure all network connections are disconnected.
- Ensure all peripheral devices are disconnected.
NOTE: If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, ensure the drive is plugged in according to the instructions in the VAIO® User Guide. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- From within the VAIO Recovery Wizard application, in the Create Recovery Discs window, click Next.
NOTE: The Create Recovery Discs window can be reached through the VAIO Recovery Wizard main menu or by selecting the Create Recovery Discs option on the Start Menu.
- Under Create Recovery Discs (Step 1 of 3), click to select the option to use either DVD or CD media.
NOTE: The type of media that can be used and the number of discs required may vary depending on the type of disc drives present and the specific model used. Details are provided in the VAIO Recovery window.
- Click the Next button.
- At the Insert a blank... dialog box, insert the appropriate disc.
NOTE: The appropriate drive will open to receive the disc.
- Click the OK button.
NOTE: If a This disc is not empty dialog box is displayed, click the OK button.
- Insert a new disc when necessary as instructed.
- When all the disks have been created, click the Finish button.
NOTE: After the Recovery Media Kit has been created the first time, any disc can be created again by selecting the disc from the list and clicking Next.