The Recovery Media can be used to restore the entire (C:) drive, without changing the hard drive configuration, or in conjunction with installing or removing a Recovery Drive partition. Follow this procedure to perform a system recovery using the Recovery Media.
- Before performing a recovery, go to the Sony® eSupport Web site. Look for software and driver updates, or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer's issue. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process. Battery equipped computers must be connected to the AC adapter.
- The Recovery Media cannot be used to add other partitions or modify the size of the (C:) drive.
- The default configuration for these computers includes only a (C:) drive.
- If you have not created a set of Recovery Media, or if the Recovery Media has been lost or misplaced, a Recovery Media may be available for purchase through our partner Encompass® Supply Chain Solutions Inc. or by calling 1- 866-779-5153.
NOTE: The USB Recovery Media drive must have already been prepared as a recovery drive by the VAIO® Care application on the PC before performing these steps.
- Access the computer BIOS .
- In the BIOS screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the Boot tab.
- On the Boot tab, use the arrow keys to highlight the External Device Boot, press the Enter key and set the value to Enabled.
- In the Boot Priority section, set the External Device to be the first device listed.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight the Exit tab.
- On the Exit tab, use the arrow keys to highlight Save Changes and press the Enter key.
- At the Save Setup Values prompt, use the arrow keys to highlight Yes, and then press the Enter key.
- Insert the USB flash drive into any USB port on the computer.
IMPORTANT: This must be a USB port built into the case of the computer and not an attached USB hub or cable extension.
- On the Exit tab, use the arrow keys to highlight Exit Setup and press the Enter key.
- At the Save & Reset prompt, use the arrow keys to highlight Yes, and then press the Enter key.
- The system will restart, and VAIO Care Rescue Mode will launch automatically.
- At the VAIO Care Rescue Mode screen, click Start Recovery Wizard.
- At the Rescue Data screen, choose the desired option:
- Select the Yes, I'd like to start rescue now option to back up your personal data before the system recovery begins.
- Select the Skip rescue to continue the system recovery without backing up your personal data.
IMPORTANT: If you elect the option to back up your personal data, a second USB flash drive will be needed to store the backup data.
- In the VAIO Care Recovery screen, click to select the desired option:
- Restore C: Drive
- Restore Complete System
- Choosing Restore C: Drive will restore the entire hard drive (C:) to its original, factory-installed condition.
- Choosing Restore Complete System will restore the entire (C:) drive, while also installing or removing a Recovery Drive partition.
- At the Are you sure you want to start recovery screen, click Yes, I understand to confirm your knowledge that the system recovery process will erase all personal data and settings on the computer.
- Click the Start recovery button to start the system recovery process.