IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. All software applications, configurations, and data added to the restored drive will be erased.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. Licensed content, such as movies acquired from the VAIO® Movie Experience CD supplied with select models, will no longer be playable if the license information is not backed up prior to a system recovery and restored afterward .
- Before performing a recovery, go to eSupport website, download and install all available software and driver updates, or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer's issue. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- This model does not use Recovery CDs. Recovery data is loaded from the Recovery Media Kit and saved to a special partition of the hard drive.
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process. Notebook computers must be connected to the AC adapter.
- Close all open programs.
- Disconnect all network connections.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices.
- If the computer includes a floppy disk drive, remove any floppy disk from the drive.
- If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, plug in the drive according to the instructions in the VAIO User Guide. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Turn on the computer.
- Insert the first disc of the Recovery Media Kit into the CD/DVD drive.
- Turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- In the VAIO Recovery Wizard window, click the Next button.
- Under Media and Recovery Options, click to select the Proceed with System Recovery option.
- Click the Next button.
- Under Recovery Options, click to select the desired option to continue with a system recovery:
- A C Drive Recovery will return the (C:) drive to its original, factory-installed state. All software and data on the (C:) drive will be erased.
- A Custom Recovery provides options for recovering the (C:) drive with or without a recovery partition.
- The Custom Recovery options are only available when starting the computer using the Recovery Media Kit.
- The default configuration for these computers includes only a (C:) drive. There is no capability within the VAIO Recovery Wizard or the Recovery Media Kit to add partitions or modify the size of the (C:) drive.