IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
The Recovery Discs can be used to restore the entire (C:) drive, remove or restore the Recovery Drive partition, or modify or reconfigure RAID options. The Recovery Discs cannot be used to add partitions or modify the size of the (C:) drive. Follow this procedure to perform a system recovery using Recovery Discs.
- Before performing a recovery, go to the Sony® eSupport Web site, to download and install all available software and driver updates, or check for knowledge base solutions that may help you solve your computer issue. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
- This model is not supplied with a Recovery CDs. The recovery data is loaded from Recovery Discs created on the computer before the recovery and saved to a special partition of the hard drive. Most recovery functions can be performed from within the operating system using the VAIO® Recovery Wizard.
- If the computer uses an external CD/DVD drive, plug in the drive according to the instructions in the VAIO User Guide. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Sony recommends the optional i.LINK® CD/DVD drives specifically designed as an accessory for your model.
Please contact a local or online authorized retailer to purchase a Sony product.
For customers in Canada: https://dealerlocator.sony.ca/locator/init.do
- Do not interrupt the power during the recovery process. Notebook computers must be connected to the AC adapter.
Sony Electronics is no longer permitted to sell system recovery media for VAIO PCs that shipped with operating systems released prior to Windows 7. If you have not created a set of Recovery Media, or if the Recovery Media has been lost or misplaced, begin the procedure to send your Sony computer into a Sony facility so that they can provide repair and recovery options.
- If the computer includes a floppy disk drive, remove any floppy disk from the drive.
- On some models, the ability to start the computer to an external CD/DVD drive may need to be enabled in BIOS before the Recovery Discs can be used with it.
- Turn on the computer.
- Insert Recovery Disc #1 from the Recovery Media Kit into the CD/DVD drive.
- Turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- In the VAIO Recovery window, click to select the appropriate option to use the VAIO Recovery Wizard:
- The entire (C:) drive can be restored to its original, factory-installed condition by selecting Restore C: Drive.
- Choosing Restore Complete System will restore the entire (C:) drive, while removing or restoring the Recovery Drive partition.
- RAID options can be modified by selecting Reconfigure RAID. This option is not available on all models.
- The default configuration for these computers includes only a (C:) drive. There is no capability within the VAIO Recovery Wizard or the Recovery Media Kit to add partitions or modify the size of the (C:) drive.