IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Follow these troubleshooting steps if the symptoms below are observed from the Walkman® player.
- The Walkman player does not turn on when pressing the power button even if the player is fully charged.
- The Walkman player does not turn on even after turning off the HOLD function.
- The Walkman player does not function properly.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the unit after completing each step.
- Confirm that the Walkman player is connected to a working USB port and one that it is charging. If necessary, connect the USB cord to a different port.
NOTE: For the NWZ-W262 and W263, recharge the battery fully until the OPR lamp turns off if this is your first time using the player, or has not used it for a long time.
- When connecting to a computer, make sure you are using the supplied USB cable. Only the supplied USB cable is supported.
- If the Walkman player is not charging, disconnect the USB cable from the portable player and then reconnect.
- If the Walkman player is still not charging, disconnect the USB cable from the computer and then reconnect.
- Make sure that the HOLD function is not activated.
- When you use the Walkman player for the first time, if you have not used it for a long time, or the battery is depleted, it may take up to 5 minutes for it to be recognized or start charging.
- If the Walkman player was attached to your computer while it was starting up, the player may be frozen. If the Walkman player appears to be frozen, continue with this procedure to do a reset. Do not turn your computer on with the portable player attached to it. Always start your computer first and then attach the portable player.
- For the NWZ-W262 and W263: If there is no operation made on the player for about 30 minutes while on Pause mode, it will automatically go into Standby mode. While in Standby mode, press the Play/Pause button to resume playback or slide the POWER switch to the OFF position and then back to the ON position again.
- If the Walkman player is still not responding, reset it by pressing the RESET button with a small pin or similar object.
- When the RESET button is pressed, although the player will retain the music data and clock settings, all other stored data and settings may be deleted.
- Make sure to pause your music or video playback before performing the reset.
- The location of the RESET button differs depending on the model of the player. The image below shows the location of the RESET button of the main models.
NOTE: Press and hold down both the DISP/HOME and the Playback Pause buttons for at least 7 seconds. This step applies only to some Walkman players with DISP/HOME and Playback Pause buttons. Below are the buttons pressed to perform the reset.
 RESET button
 DISP/HOME button
 Playback/Pause button
If after the reset, the player does not turn on, charge the Walkman player using the supplied USB cable for at least 30 minutes then, check again. If the issue is still unresolved, the unit may need to be repaired.
- If there was no change after the player was reset, connect it to the computer and reset it again, leaving it connected.
- Check the Sony® support website to see if there are any available firmware updates for your model.
Downloads are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: If the player is not being recognized by the computer, there are additional troubleshooting steps you should follow . The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. Begin the procedure to send your Sony product into a Sony facility to be repaired.