To connect a printer or scanner, plug the device in via a USB port on the computer or, if wireless, turn on the wireless feature on the device. Once that is done the operating system will recognize the device right away and install the required hardware drivers. Follow these steps to view installed printers and scanners devices.
- Point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and then click to select the Search charm.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + W key combination will also take you to the Search screen.
- In the Search screen, type Devices and Printers, and then click the Devices and Printers icon.
NOTE: Because the Devices and Printers section of the Control Panel is a traditional Windows Desktop application, if you were not already there, the interface will change to the Desktop and the Devices and Printers window will open.
- In the Devices and Printers screen, the installed printers and devices will be displayed.
If the printer or scanner is not displayed then for some reason the device was not automatically detected and installed by the operating system. Follow these steps to manually install the device.
- In the Devices and Printers screen, click Add a printer.
- In the Add Printer window, click The printer that I want isn't listed.
- In the Find a printer by other options screen, click to select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, and then click the Next button.
- In the Choose a printer port screen, click the Next button.
- In the Install the printer driver screen, under Manufacturer scroll to and click to select the appropriate printer manufacturer, under Printers scroll to and click to select the appropriate printer model, and then click the Next button.
NOTE: If you have the software installation disc that came with the device, in the Install the printer driver screen, you can click the Have Disk button and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver from the disk.
- In the Type a printer name screen, click the Next button.
- In the You've successfully added [Device Name] Driver screen, click the Finish button.