Follow these steps to troubleshoot a webcam that is not working or not detected in the operating system.
IMPORTANT: Before beginning this procedure, download and install all available driver, system and application updates. Downloads are posted on your model support page.
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the webcam status after completing each step.
- Disconnect any external devices (including external webcams) and for notebook computers, remove the computer from any docking station (if connected).
- Use the System Configuration Utility to determine if a Startup or System Services item is causing the issue.
- Make sure the Visual Communication Camera device is selected within the settings of the software you are trying to use (Skype, Google Talk, etc.).
- Enable all USB composite devices under USB controller category in the Device Manager.
- Uninstall & reinstall all USB composite devices under the USB controller category in the Device Manager.
- Uninstall & reinstall all USB Host Controller devices under the USB controller category in the Device Manager.
- Perform a System Restore procedure to return the computer to an earlier date when the webcam was operating correctly.
- Perform format and recovery procedure to restore the complete system .