Certain legacy camcorders may support webcam operation (live streaming) through the composite, component, or S-Video connections. For compatibility information or details on any of the steps below, refer to the instruciton manual of your camcorder. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Before you start
You will need the following items to setup live streaming
- A camcorder that has an Auto Shut Off (A.Shut Off) option in the menu and composite, component, or S-Video audio/video output.
Manuals are posted on your model support page.
- Set the Auto Shut Off feature to either Off or Never to prevent it from automatically turning off while live streaming.
- If your camcorder does not have the Auto Shut Off option or has a demonstration mode, then it may not function for live streaming.
- A computer with composite/component/S-Video input jacks or a composite/component/S-Video to USB video capture device.
- The camcorder model and your video capture device will determine the type of cable needed for connectivity.
- USB cable if using a video capture device.
- A computer with streaming software installed.
Note: The video capture device and streaming software are not Sony products.
Setup live streaming
- Plug the AC power adapter for the camcorder into a working electrical outlet and then connect it to the camcorder.
- Connect a composite, component, or S-Video cable to the VIDEO or S-VIDEO jack on the camcorder.
- Sony camcorders usually come packaged with composite Audio/Video cables; S-Video cables are sold separately.
- To purchase either of these cables, check with your local electronics dealer or visit Sony Parts and Accessories Sales. Go to Parts and Accessories.
- Connect the other end of the composite, component, or S-Video cable to the VIDEO IN or S-VIDEO IN jack on the computer or the video capture device.
- If using a video capture device, connect the video capture device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Remove the cassette tape from the camcorder.
- Turn on the camera by moving the POWER switch to the CAMERA position.
- Open the video/audio settings of the capture/streaming software on your computer.
- The software should recognize the video capture device and therefore your camcorder as a webcam.
- You should then see the live stream from the camera on your computer.