IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot no audio through the audio optical connection.
IMPORTANT: This solution assumes that the receiver is able to produce audio using a different input source (tuner, etc.).
NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the receiver for audio output after completing each step.
- Verify that the receiver input selected is the same input that the optical cable from the CD/DVD player is connected to on the back of the receiver.
- Verify that the optical cable is connected to an optical input on the rear of the receiver, not an output
- Verify that the source unit is set to output audio through the optical audio output.
- With the source unit turned on, disconnect the optical cable from the back of the receiver. Verify that there is a light emitting from the unconnected end of the cable.
NOTE: If no light is present, the problem is located in either the optical cable or the output of the source unit.
- If MULTI CH IN is illuminated in the display, press the MULTI CH IN button on the receiver to deactivate.
- On the front of the receiver, press the INPUT MODE on the receiver until AUTO or DIGITAL (OPTICAL) is displayed in the LCD.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. Begin the procedure to send your Sony product into a Sony facility to be repaired.