The Android™ 9 Pie software update began December 2019 on a gradual release for Android TV™ models. This article explains the new features, improvements, and changes provided with this update.
The automatic update will first be released for eligible LCD models (Z9F series), and then expand to BRAVIA™ OLED Master Series models (A9F series) in early 2020. The actual date your TV receives the automatic update will vary and may range from within a few weeks to a couple of months.
Note: If you enabled the Automatically check for update feature, a notification will appear on your TV when the update is available.
When you are ready to update the TV software, press the HELP button on the remote control and select System software update.
- XBR Z9F series
- XBR A9F series
Features and changes
Menu and interface changes
- Redesigned Quick Settings menu.
- Press the ACTION MENU button on the remote to access the Quick Settings menu.
- In the menu, select Settings to view and change the settings. You can also adjust the picture and sound while watching content.
- Use Edit to add frequently used settings or remove unnecessary ones.
- To change the order of the settings, highlight it and then press and hold the Enter button on the remote control.
- A Quick Settings menu video is available.
- Customizable Input menu.
- In addition to the TV and HDMI connected devices, you can now select USB inputs from the new menu.
- You can also use Edit to add frequently used apps such as YouTube™ or Netflix®. To change the order of the apps, highlight it and then press and hold the Enter button on the remote control.
- An Input menu video is available.
- Streamlined Settings menu.
- Smoother transition to the channel list and full TV Guide.
- Press the TV button to show the TV Menu channel list.
- When you select TV control on the lower left-hand corner of the TV Menu, functions that are available while you are watching TV will be displayed, such as Picture-in-picture and Add to Favorite.
- You can press the ↓ (Down) button on the remote control to display the program guide and the ↑ (Up) button to return to the TV menu. While in the program guide, a small screen appears in the upper right corner to display the program you are watching.
- For IR Blaster compatible models, the IR Blaster setup is changed to Cable/Satellite box setup.
- To access the operation menu for the cable/satellite box (set-top box), you now need to press the TV button on the remote instead of the ACTION MENU button. If the cable/satellite box (set-top box) is set using Channel lineup setup in Cable/Satellite box setup, Live TV will be displayed. If you select Live TV, a list of programs you can watch now will be displayed.
- Reconfigured HDMI IN menu.
- To access Home (Menu), Options, and Picture-in-picture, you now need to press the DISPLAY button on the remote instead of the ACTION MENU button.
- Picture-in-picture is changed to the Picture-in-picture icon.
- A new Restart menu.
- Press and hold the power button on the remote control to display the Restart menu on the TV screen.
- Adds Support for Apple AirPlay® and Apple Homekit™.
- With Apple AirPlay, you can stream movies, music, games, and photos to your TV right from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer.
- Integrated Dolby Atmos® support through the TV's built-in speakers.
- In addition, Sound mode compatible models will switch to Dolby Audio automatically so that you can enjoy Dolby Atmos content.
- The Video, Album, and Music apps are combined with the Media Player app.
- Adds support for High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) 100/120Hz format for USB video playback.
- The design of some icons on the Home screen has changed and the Timer icon is located in the upper right corner.
- If you select the Mic icon on Home or other screens, your TV uses the built-in MIC instead of the mic on the remote control.
- The illumination LED blinks yellow if you say "Ok Google" when your TV is turned on or in standby mode.
- Pass through mode is added and allows the output of compressed audio to a home theater or soundbar.
- If Pass through mode is on, features such as TV key tones and voice recognition using the built-in MIC may become less efficient.
- Changes to the Harmony service: