The Android™ 9 Pie software update began December 2019 on a gradual release schedule for Android TV™ models. This article explains the new features, improvements, and changes provided with this update.
The automatic update will first be released for eligible LCD models (Z9G / X950G / X850G series), and then expand to BRAVIA™ OLED Master Series models (A9G series) in early 2020. The actual date your TV receives the automatic update will vary and may range from within a few weeks to a couple of months.
Note: If you enabled the Automatically check for update feature, a notification will appear on your TV when the update is available.
When you are ready to update the TV software, press the HELP button on the remote control and select System software update.
- XBR Z9G series
- XBR A9G series
- XBR X950G series
- XBR X850G series (55/65/75/85 inches)
Features and changes
Menu and Interface Changes
- Streamlined Settings menu
- Improved Quick Settings menu
- You can now change the presentation order of the settings. To change the order, highlight one and then press and hold the Enter button on the remote control.
- Improved Input menu:
- You can now change the presentation order of the apps. To change the order, highlight one and then press and hold the Enter button on the remote control.
- A new Restart menu
- Press and hold the power button on the remote control to display the new Restart menu.
- Adds Support for Apple AirPlay® and Apple Homekit™.
- With Apple AirPlay, you can stream movies, music, games, and photos to your TV right from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer.
- Integrated Dolby Atmos® support via the TV’s built-in speakers
- The TV speakers can now playback Dolby Atmos.
- In addition, on the Sound mode compatible models, the Sound mode will switch to Dolby Audio by the software update automatically so you can enjoy content with Dolby Atmos.
- Small screen for TV viewing on program guide
- While in the program guide, a small screen appears in the upper right corner to display the program you are watching.
- Illumination LED behavior when "Ok Google" is detected (except for XBR X850G/X855G/X857G models).
- The illumination LED blinks yellow if you say "Ok Google" when your TV is turned on or in standby mode.
- Pass through mode is added and allows the output of compressed audio to a home theater or soundbar.
- When Pass through mode is set, features such as TV key tones and voice recognition using the built-in MIC may become less efficient.