The earbuds have IR sensors that detect when they are correctly worn. If you don't insert the earbuds correctly or if the IR sensors are dirty, the following issues may occur:
- Bluetooth® connection is lost.
- The touch sensor doesn't work on one of the earbuds.
- One earbud isn't detected and turns off after 15 minutes due to the Automatic Power Off function.
- Only one of the earbuds is detected, sound is heard from both earbuds, but the sound output becomes monaural (non-stereo).
- Only one of the earbuds is detected and the Ambient Sound Mode works only with the detected earbud.
- Neither of the earbuds are detected and the Ambient Sound Mode turns off.
Note: These issues are based on the default settings. If you customize the settings, the issues may differ.
Steps to troubleshoot IR sensor issues
To resolve the issue, perform the following and check if the issue is resolved after completing each step:
- Clean the IR sensors (A) on the back of the earbuds with a dry, soft cloth.
- Make sure the earbuds are properly fit to your ears.
- Turn off the Automatic Power Off function in the Sony | Headphones Connect app to disable the wearing detection function.
- If the issue still occurs, refer to the following articles according to the issue with the earbuds:
- There is no sound from the headphones, or sound is only heard from one side
- There is an abnormal beep sound, the touch sensor doesn't work, or the earbuds (headphones) restart on their own
- The sound is poor or skips when using a Bluetooth connection
- The Noise Canceling effect is weak or not working. (LinkBuds S)
- The Noise Canceling effect is weak or not working (WF-1000XM4)