IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check the Applicable Products and Categories section of this article before starting these steps.
Follow these troubleshooting instructions if you are unable to charge the Walkman® player using the USB cradle connected to a computer.
- Contamination on the terminals may cause the connection failed.
Please make sure to keep the terminals clean. If Walkman terminal is dirty, clean the terminals using the soft bristle toothbrush (moisturized by water). Brush the terminals as gently, otherwise it may cause scratch on the cabinet.
After brushing, rinse it off with fresh water, wipe away the water on the Walkman using a soft cloth or cotton bud, and then leave the Walkman in a well-ventilated shady place to dry.
- Do not dry the Walkman using hot air from a hair dryer.
- The cradle is not waterproof. Please do not wet the cradle.
- Your Walkman is not properly attached to the supplied USB cradle.
Attach your Walkman to the supplied USB cradle properly and firmly. Charging will start (the OPR lamp lights up in red) even if the connection was not made properly, but there is a possibility that the computer has not recognized the Walkman. In such a case, remove the Walkman from the supplied USB cradle and then attach to the supplied USB cradle again. Please check the following:
- Make sure the terminals of your Walkman is clean.
- Attach your Walkman to the supplied USB cradle.
Make sure the terminals of your Walkman (1) and the supplied USB cradle (3) are in contact with each other.
- Connect the USB plug of the supplied USB cradle to an operating computer.
Charging starts. Make sure the OPR lamp window (4) on the supplied USB cradle lights up in red.
- If the Walkman player is still not recognized and it is connected to a USB hub, disconnect it and connect it directly to the computer.
- If the Walkman is still not recognized, try a different USB port on the computer or a different computer.
If you have followed the steps above and the OPR lamp does not light up to indicate that the Walkman is charging, service may be required. Go to Product Repair.
If the OPR light comes on as it should, but the computer does not recognize the Walkman player to allow you to transfer music, check the following:
- If the New Hardware Wizard appears and is prompting for a location of the driver, point to the following directory: C:/WINDOWS/INF.
- When you use the Walkman player for the first time, if you have not used it for a long time, or the battery is depleted, it may take up to 5 minutes for it to be recognized or start charging. If it the Walkman player is not recognized or does not begin to charge after waiting 5 minutes, reset the player by pressing the reset button.
- Disconnect the Walkman from the computer, restart the computer. Once the computer has finished restarting, connect the Walkman to the computer again check to see if it is now recognized by the computer.
- If the Walkman is still not recognized, press the RESET button located on the Walkman player with a thin object such as a paper clip.
- If the Walkman player is still not recognized and is connected to a USB hub, disconnect it and connect it directly to the computer.
- If the Walkman is still not recognized, try a different USB port on the computer