If the battery of the Walkman® player doesn't charge, connect your device to a computer or AC wall outlet using the supplied USB cable or AC adapter, then follow the instructions depending on your device type and connection. Check your manual for model-specific information. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Devices with a Display
The battery charges properly if your device displays a battery indicator.
Your device will display a black screen if you haven't used it for a long period of time or the battery was drained.
- Let it charge for about 5 - 10 minutes before you use your device.
Devices without a Display
The battery charges properly if the operation lamp lights up.
- The lamp will turn off when charging is complete.
The battery is either fully charged or is not charging if the lamp is turned off.
Other Things to Consider
There are several factors that can affect recharging, battery performance, and battery life:
- Charge the battery in an ambient temperature of between 41 ºF to 95 ºF (5 ºC to 35 ºC).
- If you charge the battery outside of this temperature, the battery indicator may blink and you may not be able to charge it.
If you don't intend to use your device for over six months, charge the battery at least once during this time to maintain battery performance.
The battery won't charge if the computer enters a power saving mode (Sleep or Hibernation mode) through a USB connection. Your device will continue to use the power from the battery, discharging it.
Don't leave your device connected for extended periods to a laptop computer that isn't connected to AC power, since your device may drain the computer battery.
- The battery can be recharged approximately 500 times before it needs to be replaced.
- This varies depending on the device is used.
- Go to Parts and Accessories.
The battery indicator on the display is only an estimate. For example, one section of black in the battery indicator will not always indicate one-fourth of the battery charge.
- A message saying not to disconnect the USB cable will appear in the display while the computer accesses your device. Don't disconnect the supplied USB cable to avoid data damage.
- Some USB devices connected to the computer may interfere with proper operation of your device.
- We don't guarantee battery recharging using a personally assembled or modified computer.
- Don't turn on, restart, wake up from sleep mode, or shut down the computer while charging your device. These operations may cause your device to malfunction. Disconnect your device from the computer before you perform these operations.